Best Homemade DIY Pregnancy Tests – Did you miss your period and wondering you may be pregnant? You can test yourself using Homemade DIY pregnancy tests, with Bleach, Toothpaste, Sugar, and Pine Sol. This dilemma often makes a woman anxious and upset. Even though, being pregnant for the first time is one of the spectacular moments of life. When a woman believes she has gotten pregnant, she will need to take the time to confirm her condition. When a woman believes she has gotten pregnant, she will need to take the time to confirm her condition. It is possible to test yourself using a variety of different methods or DIY pregnancy tests.
Although consultation with a doctor is recommended for pregnant women, in order to ensure the health and that of the child you are carrying, there are many reasons why a woman may not wish to use the services of a medical practitioner or pharmacy in order to confirm her pregnancy:
- The service offered by the doctor or pharmacy may be too expensive and in comparison DIY pregnancy tests cost almost nothing.
- It may be too difficult to get to the doctor’s rooms or visit a pharmacy and the ‘home’ part of ‘homemade pregnancy test’ says it all, because the ingredients are at your fingertips.
Your pregnancy may be a matter of inconvenience or embarrassment, or there may be other reasons for secrecy but you are the only one who needs to know when you have to take a DIY pregnancy test.
- You may be an advocate of natural childbirth and wish to minimize the contact with the medical profession but homemade pregnancy tests rely on the same indicators used by doctors and pharmacists, but without their involvement.
Using a commercial pregnancy kit often can be expensive, so you can always rely on homemade pregnancy test methods. When it comes down to it, a lot of women won’t see the point in creating their own pregnancy test. Although it is true those commercial tests can be purchased easily and affordably, there are some benefits associated with doing it yourself and can also be done very easily. First and foremost, you should realize that a DIY test is actually a free pregnancy test. If you already own the supplies needed, you won’t have to pay anything to confirm your pregnancy and do anything for it. This is imperative, when planning for the birth, which will be very expensive. They were used by women before the invention of commercial kits. Generally, a pregnancy test detects the HCG (Human Chronic Gonadotropin) hormone which can be traced either in urine or blood. Homemade pregnancy test also looks for the same hormone in urine. Let’s have a look at all the related details to do pregnancy test yourself at home.
When the Pregnancy test should be conducted?
Missed period is the first sign of being pregnant. The sensitivity of the pregnancy test that will be used is the best guideline for when to start testing to confirm pregnancy. Women who are pregnant undergo physical changes even in the initial stages, and these are the indicators that make them suspect that they are in the early phase of carrying a child. However, waiting until the first day of a missed period or approximately fourteen days after ovulation provides the most accurate results.
The first and most obvious sign is a delayed or apparently missed menstrual period. Newly-pregnant women may also have a higher body temperature and experience sweating, and their breasts and nipples may feel swollen or tender. Increased frequency of passing urine and regular feelings of nausea, known as ‘morning sickness’, complete the list of telltale indications of pregnancy, and any woman experiencing all of these symptoms may only need a DIY pregnancy test to confirm her near certainty that she is pregnant. Many women may have a late period, so it is better to wait for 1 or 2 weeks. If you didn’t start your monthly cycle yet, then you can take a test. However, not all women experience these physical signs of pregnancy.
Some may experience none of them, and may even continue to experience light bleeding, leading to confusion about whether or not they are pregnant. These women may benefit from using a homemade pregnancy test to detect hCG.
How to Increase the Accuracy of Homemade Pregnancy Tests?
While taking a test, few unknown mistakes can lead to inaccurate test results. So it is important to know how to carry out the test perfectly.
- It is always recommended to use morning’s first urine for the DIY pregnancy test as it is more concentrated making it easier to detect the HCG hormone.
- Use only plastic containers, spoons and spatula to collect the urine samples and mix the other test ingredients. If you are using to test later then collect the urine in a cup with lid.
Too little urine can lead to confusing results. So use the same or some more amount of urine as the ingredient you are combining for the test.
- Sometimes, the chemical reaction may take more time than you expect. So it is better to wait at least 5 – 10 minutes before drawing a conclusion.
- To make sure the reaction is constant, repeat the process several times.
- Instead of relying on a single test, try different tests and compare the results to confirm the result.
- Always perform the test on a flat surface and avoid shaking or disturbing the test samples during testing.
Best Homemade and DIY Pregnancy Tests
We have listed some most important homemade pregnancy tests which are cost effective and easily available ingredients like vinegar, sugar, bleach, baking soda, mustard powder, toothpaste, Pine Sol, hydrogen peroxide, Tylenol and other ingredients.
1. Homemade Pregnancy test with Toothpaste
You will need plain white toothpaste for this test. Gel toothpaste and the pastes with colored stripes or grains won’t give effective results.
How to use toothpaste for a pregnancy test?
- Take a small amount of white toothpaste in a bowl.
- Add equal (or slightly less) amount of collected urine to the toothpaste.
- If the toothpaste turns blue or becomes frothy then it means the test result is positive.
- If there is no color change and no forth on the paste then the result is likely negative.
Points to remember for toothpaste pregnancy test:
It’s been clearly observed that whether you use a homemade pregnancy test method or a store brought pregnancy test strip, both have error of margin. So homemade toothpaste and Urine pregnancy test is also not an exception to this and it has also reason to produce inaccurate or false result.
- There is no clear cut guideline about the quantity of Urine and toothpaste to be used to perform this test.
- It is a bit difficult to interpret the result (bluish color or sky blue or some other shade of blue) but after trying 2-3 times you can interpret it easily.
- There is no set timeline after which you can get result.
2. Homemade Pregnancy test with Mustard powder
This process helps you to know if you are pregnant or if it is just a late period. Be patient while doing this test, as it takes 1 day to 2 weeks to know the results. It helps process helps to heat your body and ease your periods. Mustard powder test has a different approach towards testing pregnancy. This approach is taken mostly to find out if your late period is the sign of you being pregnant or it is just another irregular month. This test takes from around a day to two weeks to tell if you are really pregnant so be patient while using taking this test.
How to use mustard for a pregnancy test?
- Fill up a bathtub with hot water.
- Add 2 cups of fresh mustard powder into it.
- Stir the water well with your hands.
- Now, get into the bathtub and soak yourself in the mustard water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Take a shower with warm water after the soak.
- If you have late periods, you will get them in 2 days.
- Even after 2 weeks, if you didn’t get period after this remedy, then it is an indication of pregnancy.
3. Homemade Pregnancy test with Bleach
Pregnancy tests normally check for the presence of HCG a pregnancy hormone. This is a substance that responds to all available methods used to test pregnancy. HCG is present in blood as well as urine. Using bleach to test pregnancy is more effective when compared to other home-based tests since it reacts quite well with HCG, a hormone present in the urine of pregnant women. These tests regardless of them being home-based or home pregnancy tests bought from pharmacies, their main aim is to identify the amount of HCG in the urine. Each time the urine of a woman comes into contact with some of these substances such as bleach, changes normally occur within minutes and their reaction will depend on whether or not HCG has been identified. Seen below is a pregnancy confirmation test through the use of bleach.
- Pour some bleach into a cup then mix in some fresh urine.
- Wait for a short period of time and watch the reaction.
- If the solution starts to bubble up or turns frothy or frizzy it is a clear indication that you are pregnant. If no change takes place then you are not expectant.
Just like most other home-based tests, there are no guidelines on the amount of bleach or urine to be used and the amount of time it takes before the results can be confirmed. Unlike other home-based tests, this one comes with a safety warning. The reason behind this is due to the fact that when bleach is mixed with urine it produces toxic fumes which can cause harm to you as well as your unborn child in case you happen to be pregnant. This test should therefore be done in an airy place or outside in order to protect you against inhaling the toxic fumes.
It is commonly used as a cleanser and can be found in almost any household. It easily reacts to the HCG present in the urine.
How to use bleach for a pregnancy test?
- Take some bleach in a container.
- Pour the collected urine on the bleach and watch for any reaction.
- It the mixture foams and fizzes then the pregnancy test is positive.
- If there is no reaction then the result is negative.
Bleach is a potentially dangerous substance so it should be handled with great care. Wear disposable gloves and perform the test outdoors in order to avoid the harmful effects of toxic fumes.
4. Homemade Pregnancy test with Dandelion Leaves
When you are done picking the leaves, you need to pour the urine in a plastic cup with the dandelion leaves and make sure that all the leaves are soaked in the urine. Wait for 10 minutes and check if there are red blisters in the leaves. If there are red blisters there, this means that you are pregnant, but if there is none, then it means you are not pregnant.
Dandelion might just be the best answer to your concern. You must have heard of homemade pregnancy tests that concerns strip pregnancy kits. You might have an idea about them and then decipher if they are really reliable in providing you the result that you need and not the result that you want. The use of bleach in a test is very risky and it’s hard to risk the safety of your baby if you are really pregnant. There is a fume that will be emitted by the mixing the urine and the bleach, so this is not an advisable idea.
Dandelion as a pregnancy test will provide you with a safe and different kind of experience in terms of checking if you are pregnant or not. It is so easy to use and you can even find dandelion leaves at your backyard. If you want to try, you can get the stems and the leaves and there is no harm in trying though. You can place them in a plastic container and then pour the urine in the cup. You have to wait for a while until the leaves turn red that is if you are pregnant, but if you are not, it will not change its color. Dandelion leaves are safe to use compared to bleach and vinegar.
Fresh dandelion leaves react to the HCG hormone levels in the urine. Dandelion leaves are one of the oldest pregnancy test tools that have been used for centuries by women to confirm pregnancy. This herb is still widely available in gardens and parks.
How to use Dandelion leaves for a pregnancy test?
- Collect a few fresh dandelion leaves from the plant and store them away from the direct sunlight as this could interfere with the results.
- Place the leaves in a plastic container and add early morning urine to it so that the leaves soak thoroughly. Make sure the leaves are completely covered with urine.
- Let the leaves soak for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes if reddish blisters appear on the leaves then it indicates pregnancy.
- If no blisters appear on the leaves then you can let the leaves soak for another 10 minutes and check whether the leaves react to the urine.
- No reaction or absence of blisters indicates any pregnancy.
The time taken for this result may vary from 10 minutes to even an hour.
5. Homemade Pregnancy test with Sugar
The homemade pregnancy test with sugar is one of the most reliable tests that give accurate results. The best time to take a home pregnancy test with sugar is in the morning, immediately after one has got up from sleep. The first morning urine is usually not diluted and is the best to tell if one is pregnant or not. The HCG hormones present in the urine don’t allow dissolving of sugar/glucose.
There are various ways to test your pregnancy using homemade pregnancy test kits e.g. ‘Homemade Pregnancy Test with Bleach’ or ‘Homemade Pregnancy Test with Toothpaste’. Today we are going to share how you can test your pregnancy at an early stage using ‘Sugar pregnancy test along with urine’. Like other homemade pregnancy test, this pregnancy test is also simple in process. Take 2-3 spoon of sugar into a disposable bowl and then pee on it; use early morning first urine for test.
Homemade Pregnancy Test with Sugar – Positive Result sign – If the sugar clumps up then it is positive sign and it indicates that you are pregnant.
Homemade Pregnancy Test with Sugar – Negative Result sign – If the sugar dissolves into your urine then test result is negative and you are not pregnant.
What is the best time for Homemade Pregnancy Test with Sugar?
All the pregnancy test (homemade or professional pregnancy test kit) checks the HCG level in your urine. HCG is a hormone that found in urine and body produce it in more quantity during pregnancy. HCG level is high in the early morning urine so to get best result from any homemade or profession pregnancy test kit you should perform the test with early morning first urine.
How to use sugar for a pregnancy test?
- Take a few spoonfuls of sugar in a bowl.
- Add collected urine to the sugar.
- Notice whether the sugar granules form clumps or not.
- If the sugar forms clump then the result is positive.
- If the sugar just dissolves into the urine then the test result is negative.
6. Homemade Pregnancy test with Vinegar
White vinegar is a common kitchen ingredient and a cost-effective test that gives reliable results.
How to use vinegar for a pregnancy test?
- Pour white vinegar in a bowl.
- Add urine to it that has been collected in the morning.
- Look for any color change in the solution.
- Color change indicates a positive result.
- If there is no change in color then the result is negative.
There is a disadvantage to this vinegar pregnancy test; you can’t really know the exact amount of vinegar and urine to be mixed in one solution which leaves you apprehensive about whether you followed the correct steps for the procedure or not. Plus, the color of the vinegar pregnancy test solution can be too light to be noticed. Another disadvantage of a homemade pregnancy test with vinegar is that you cannot determine how much time you need to wait for the results to show.
We know that’s a lot of minus points for a homemade pregnancy test with vinegar, but the trick seems to be working and giving correct results for some women. And anyways, at a time when other options aren’t available, there is no harm in trying to test your pregnancy with the help of vinegar because it is readily available and easily done.
7. Homemade Pregnancy test Tuna Juice and Vinegar
Combination of white vinegar and tuna juice makes a simple and reliable homemade pregnancy test.
How to use tuna juice and vinegar solution for pregnancy test?
- Take 1/4th cup each of tuna juice and white vinegar in a bowl and mix well.
- Leave it overnight at the room temperature
- Pour 1/4th cup of urine to the mixture.
- Wait for a few minutes and look for any color change.
- If the color changes to orange-yellow then the test result is negative.
- If the color changes to light green then the test result in positive.
8. Homemade Pregnancy test with Pine Sol
Apart from being used as a cleaning agent, pine sol also helps to indicate pregnancy. Always use natural pine sol which doesn’t contain any fragrances or additives.
How to use Pine-Sol for pregnancy test?
- Pour some Pine Sol into a white or transparent vessel to check color consistency.
- Add your first urine sample into it.
- Wait and look for any color changes.
- If the mixture changes color then the test result is positive.
- If the mixture does not change color then the test result is negative.
The reaction doesn’t give a particular color change. All you have to observe is a slight change in the base color. Even though many women believe in this method, there is no scientific research made to mention the enough color change expected to draw a conclusion on pregnancy. A recommended time frame for the color change is also unknown.
9. Homemade Pregnancy test with Soap Water
A piece of soap can be of a helping hand to know the HCG presence in your urine. Though it is not as effective as the rest of the tests, but it is worth a try if you don’t have vinegar or bleach at hand.
How to use soap water for a pregnancy test?
- Collect your first morning urine sample in a bowl.
- Add soapy lather to it.
- Wait for a few seconds and then check for any reaction.
- If the mixture starts forming bubbles then it may indicate pregnancy.
- If there is no reaction then pregnancy is not likely.
10. Homemade Pregnancy test with Baking Soda
Baking Soda for home pregnancy test can give 70% accurate results. You can perform the baking soda test at home before visiting a doctor for final confirmation.
How to use baking soda for a pregnancy test?
- Take 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of urine sample to the baking soda and wait for a few minutes.
- If the solution starts to fizzle then it indicates a positive result.
- If the baking soda does not react to the urine then it means the result in negative.
11. Homemade Pregnancy test with Peroxide and Tylenol
Although peroxide and Tylenol may not be readily available in your home but you can get these two ingredients from any pharmacy.
How to use peroxide and Tylenol for a pregnancy test?
- Collect early morning urine in a container.
- Take a small amount of Tylenol and crush it.
- Add an equal amount of hydrogen peroxide to the Tylenol. Make sure to use a glass bowl to avoid unwanted chemical reactions with the metal or plastic.
- Add the urine to it.
- Wait for a few minutes to notice any color change.
- If the mixture turns blue then in all probability you are pregnant.
- If the color of the mixture remains unchanged then it means the test result is negative.
12. Homemade Pregnancy test with Only Urine Test
One of the easiest and most reliable ways to determine pregnancy is by collecting a sample of urine first thing in the morning and noticing it after 24 hours.
How to use plain urine for a pregnancy test?
- Collect the first morning urine in a clean and dry glass jar.
- Keep the jar somewhere where it remains undisturbed for the next 24 hours.
- Examine the urine after 24 hours.
- If a thin white layer forms on the surface of the urine then it indicates pregnancy.
- If no white layer forms on the surface of the urine then pregnancy is not likely.
13. Homemade Pregnancy test with Wheat and Barley
This test has been popular since Egyptian times and during a laboratory experiment it has provided accurate results 70% of the time.
How to use wheat and barley for a pregnancy test?
- On a course of several days, urinate on wheat and barley seeds.
- If the wheat or barley sprouted then the woman is pregnant.
- If neither of the ingredients sprouted then she is not pregnant.
A specific amount of urine or ingredients or time limit for checking results is unknown.
14. Homemade Pregnancy test with Latch Test
The latch test is based on the according to a book “The Distaff Gospels” which was written in 15th century.
How to use latch for a pregnancy test?
- Pee in a basin and put a latch in it.
- Leave it undisturbed till 3 – 4 hours.
- Now thrown away the urine and remove the latch.
- If you find an impression of latch on the basin, then you are pregnant.
- If you didn’t find any impression, then the result is negative.
All of these homemade pregnancy tests have one thing in common: the lack of scientific data proving their accuracy. It would be going too far to dismiss them entirely as since they do have some basis in science and are looking for HCG, just like the pharmacy tests do. Yet few of the DIY pregnancy tests give specific instructions regarding the quantities to be used of either urine or the additive, or of the time that must be allowed to elapse before drawing a conclusion about a positive or negative result. In addition, instructions about frothing, foaming, clumping, blistering and discoloration are frustratingly vague. It almost seems that it would be necessary to conduct all of the pregnancy tests in sequence before being able to draw a definite conclusion.
It is also a fact that homemade pregnancy tests are not effective as early in the pregnancy cycle as the ones produced by pharmaceutical companies are. DIY pregnancy tests rely solely on the interaction between urine and other substances, while some medical tests can detect HCG in a blood sample only 11 days after conception and in urine 12-14 days after conception. Homemade tests typically do not work if they are conducted earlier than six days before the due date of the next menstrual period.
So the modern women should be grateful that they do not need to rely on the rather hit-and-miss techniques for home pregnancy testing practiced by their forebears. Although our ancestors had no access to toothpaste, bleach, Pine Sol and refined sugar there were no doubt other alternatives that have since disappeared, while the dandelion, vinegar and pine needle tests have survived the passage of time.